“Believe in yourself! Have faith in your abilities! Without a humble but reasonable confidence in your own powers you cannot be successful or happy”. Norman Vincent Peale
Self-confidence is the most attractive quality a person can have. How can anyone see how great you are when you yourself have no confidence in your abilities? Confidence is presumably, one’s ability to have faith in his/her actions and beliefs and to derive satisfaction from it.
Confidence is by far the most defining characteristics of a self-actualized individual for it ensures that the person is never short if the courage that is needed while facing the tribulations of life.
Different factors that determine the quotient of confidence in an individual are upbringing, work environment, societal conformity, quality of time spent on self-grooming and other psychological attributes like dedication, hard work, and commitment towards whatever task you take up.
Why is confidence so important?
Confidence is something that drives an individual to achieve goals with sensibility while judging what are his/her own strengths and limitations. Confidence brings in perspective, creativity, and originality in your work.
Confidence pulls you out from stress and motivates you to attend to failures with a head held high and an attitude of never giving up on your dreams. It has been proved over and over again that only if one has self- confidence and believes that they have the ability to make their decisions right, success is not far.
Let’s look at some real-life examples: –
Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team and now he is the most decorated basketball player in the world.
Beethoven‘s music teacher told him he was a hopeless composer little did he know that his name was soon going down the history of music in golden letters.
Abraham Lincoln had two business ventures fail, lost 8 different elections and had a complete nervous breakdown before becoming president in 1816.
It was just their confidence that got them through difficult hurdles, taught them patience and made them great people who became an inspiration for others.
After having a detailed explanation about confidence and it’s nature and importance, I would now mention a few methods that one can take up to build/boost their confidence:
- Visualize yourself as you want to be: Practice visualizing a fantastic version of yourself, achieving your goals.
- Affirm yourself: Affirmations are positive and uplifting statements that we say to ourselves. We tend to behave in accordance with our own self-image. The trick to making lasting change is to change how you view yourself.
- Do one thing that scares you every day: By doing something that scares you every day and gaining confidence in every experience, you will see your self-confidence soar.
- Question your inner critic: Strategies like cognitive behavioral therapy help you to question your inner critic and look for evidence to support or deny the things that your inner critic is saying to you. Find opportunities to congratulate compliment and reward yourself, even for the smallest successes.
- Care for yourself: Self-confidence depends on a combination of good physical health, emotional health, and social health. It is hard to feel good about yourself if you hate your physique or constantly have low energy.
- Create personal boundaries: Learn to say no. Teach others to respect your personal boundaries. If necessary, take classes on how to be more assertive and learn to ask for what you want.
- Positive self-image: People with low self-confidence see others as better or more deserving than themselves. Instead of carrying this perception, see yourself as being equal to everyone.