What happens when you are struck between emotions and intelligence? It is really challenging for you to make a balance between your personal and professional life in the day-to-day life. Without balance, some days are dull while others come with a burst of emotions that leads to a whole new experience. Emotional intelligence begins with what is called self- and social awareness, the ability to recognize emotions (and their impact) on both yourself and others.
What is Emotional Intelligence?
Emotional Intelligence, also known as EQ, is the ability to handle emotions in a positive way so that the daily challenges of life can be met with greater success.
Importance of EQ:
- EQ helps in maintaining healthy relationships with everyone.
- It improves communication and ensures greater success at home and at work.
- EQ is as important as IQ. Your mental and physical health are properly maintained with a good support system of EQ.
- Social complexities, better interactions, are all achieved by EQ which ensures a 360-degree development of personality.
The four key attributes of EQ are self-awareness, self-management, social awareness and relationship management.
EQ levels are different with different people as they have different needs and desires. People with a higher EQ are more successful as they are fully aware of their emotions and also know their effectiveness.
How to Improve Emotional Intelligence? 3 Simple Ways!
- Managing stress: It is important to act calmly in the heat of the moment by realizing what triggers the stress in you and what can be the stress busters according to your personality.
- Build a healthy relationship with your emotions to know how self-aware you are because your emotions directly affect your thoughts and actions. You need to also work on non-verbal communication as body language conveys greater meanings and results in building trust and relation with others.
- The sense of Humor: People with a good sense of humor are believed to have a higher EQ as they can easily develop playful communication. This helps them to be more creative and thoughtful with others and also resolve differences smoothly.
Organizations today are realizing the importance of EQ, so they conduct EQ tests in the process of hiring and promotion. We should realize our cup of tea and also know how well we can perform when we are out of our comfort zones.